The Butchart Garden began as a family garden created by Jeannie Butchart in a limestone quarry. From farmland nearby, Jeannie had top soil brought in and used to line the floor of the abandoned quarry. The quarry soon blossomed into a spectacular sunken garden. Between 1906 and 1929 the Butcharts added a Japanese Garden, an Italian Garden and beautiful rose garden. Four generations have continued to keep Jeannie Butchart dream alive and the garden has grown and thrived.